Monday, July 22, 2013

Email from Elder Lofthouse 7/22/13

This was a great week!  We had Specialized Training on Wednesday (a.k.a. Zone Conference) and it was so uplifting!  We talked about leaving and following up on commitments, teaching people, not lessons, how Christ is both the Father and the Son, eternal marriage, and a bunch of other great stuff.  And Sister Gelwix is amazing and hemmed a pair of my pants for me!  She is so great!  And I got to sight-read a piece of music for our zone's musical number.  That was interesting.  Sister Guzy has a beautiful voice though, so I think that made up for my mistakes.  I really can't believe how often I'm asked to play the piano, whether for musical numbers, sacrament meeting, or baptisms.  This is actually the first ward I've been in where I haven't played the piano for sacrament meeting.

  The best part of the conference was probably the last part though.  Each time, the incoming missionaries and the departing missionaries share their testimonies.  It is so much fun to see the contrast between those who are just starting and those who have been completely changed by two years of faithful service.  It makes you reflect on who you were when you came in to the mission, who you are now, and who you want to be when you're giving your final testimony.  Elder Kahuhu, one of the assistants bore his testimony as he is leaving soon.  He is a convert to the church, and from what I've heard had a rough life before he found the gospel.  He is one of the greatest missionaries I've ever met and he literally talks to EVERYONE about the gospel (It took us about 20 minutes to get in to Hibachi grill once).  He said, with tears in his eyes, "I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior.  That's the only things I have a testimony about.  Jesus Christ.  My life is proof that the atonement works."  It was so powerful.  That's why I'm here as a missionary.  Because the atonement works!!  I want others to taste of the joy I've tasted and to become like Elder Kahuhu and so many others who have been completely transformed by the Atonement of Christ.

We had a baptism yesterday.  Have I told you about O? O is an amazing man.  He's not a member, but he goes on team-ups with us, attends church every week and he knows the Book of Mormon is true.  But his less-active wife has various fears when it comes to marriage and we still haven't been able to resolve them.  So until he gets married (or moves out), he can't get baptized.  But their ten year-old daughter, M, was baptized yesterday.  At the baptism was an investigator that the other Elders had just given to us because she moved to our area and she had kind of halted in her progress towards baptism (otherwise they would have just finished teaching her since we're all in the same ward).  Well, her kids were there too, and her daughter G said after the baptism that she wants to get baptized... next week!  She's about the same age as M I think.  And her older brother said he wants to too.  And a member friend of N's was also trying to convince her to do it too, and she said maybe.   And we already have a pretty solid baptism (a man named A) set up for next week, so that's a possibility of four baptisms!

Often, I can't explain some of the miracles and blessings I receive, and this is one of them.  But miracles do happen, hearts are changed, and as long as we are striving to live faithfully, God always steps in to take care of the rest.  

I've mentioned "The Easter Project" that we started in March, which is reading all the references in the Topical Guide that refer to Jesus Christ (such as Jesus Christ, Davidic Descent of or Jesus Christ, Savior).  Well, we have about a month left and though I've kept up with the reading, I haven't been getting very much out of it.  So last week, I resolved that I was going to get the very most I could out of the last month of the project so that I could experience the mighty change of heart that President Gelwix promised we would experience if we would do the project.  I have grown more in my love of the Savior in the last week than I had in the whole rest of my mission.  I have never felt the Spirit so often in my life as I have tried to make the Savior the center of everything I do.  I have so many thoughts and scriptures I could share with you right now, but I just don't have room or time.  I urge you to study about the Savior.  Ponder His sacrifice and how it can change your life.  He loves you so much.  I do too!  Make Him the center of all you do and you will come to know Him as He is.

I love being a missionary!!!!!  It really is training for the rest of your life.  I have already been changed so much by it and I'm not even half-way done.  If you have the opportunity to serve a mission in the future start preparing now!!  It will be the best choice you ever made.  But you do have to be prepared.  It's hard.  It's a refiner's fire.  I know a lot of missionaries who have gone home for various reasons.  But if you are prepared, a mission will be the greatest two years for your life.  You will learn and grow so much.  

I look forward to the day when we meet together in the Glorious Kingdom of our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ.  That day WILL come.  Stand firm, press foward, and have a firm hope that one day will receive eternal life.  I know we can do it if we rely on Him.

Love you!!
Elder Lofthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment