Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Email from Elder Lofthouse 12/9/13

Hello again.  First off, we had zone conference with Elder Porter on Saturday.  It was short, about 2 1/2 hours, but it was good.  He talked about the gospel of Jesus Christ (faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end).  I learned that I need to be humble and full of love if I am to assist in this work.

This Wednesday we have a Christmas conference in Fresno with almost the whole mission.  3 of the 11 zones are having it on Thursday because it's kind of far for them to come all the way to Fresno.
It should be good.  It's been getting cold.  I hear it's a cold winter everywhere.  It's been 26 degrees when we run in the mornings.  I feel really bad for the elders on their bikes.  We're lucky to have the car.  And chances are I'm going to get transferred next week (transfer calls come Saturday) and who knows if I'll get a car.  Brrr!

M (J's wife) and her friend S came to church (again) on Sunday!  They're progressing!  And M let J pay his tithing this month!!!!  I was so happy to see him filling out a tithing slip on Sunday!  Her faith is growing, and I'm sure she'll be baptized soon.  S will probably follow her.  

I can't remember which investigators I've talked about.  N, a sophmore on the high school basketball team, was one of the investigators who came last week with a less-active member who also plays basketball.  She loved church, and was going to come again this week (despite saying that she was only going to come once) but I guess she had some family problems and her mom wanted her to stay home.  However, she committed herself to coming this week.  And the last time we met with her, we showed her mormon.org and she let slip, "So all these peoples are members of our church?"  It's always a good sign when investigators start thinking subconsciously that this is their church.  

This is the Lord's work,and he knows what He is doing (see 2 Nephi 27:20).  We can only assist in His work if we are humble and full of love (see D&C 12:8).  How privileged we are to have this opportunity to assist in this great work!  God is so patient and full of love.  He knows all things, He sees the end from the beginning, and He has a perfect plan for His imperfect children.  I'm slowly seeing that more and more.    

I love you all!
Elder Lofthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment