Sunday, February 22, 2015

His Grace *IS* Sufficient

Last week, my bishop gave me a book to read called, "Believing Christ" by Stephen E. Robinson. It talks about the difference between believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of the World, and believing that He really can save us. Its the difference between believing in Christ, and believing Him. That is, believing Him when He says that His grace is sufficient for us.  That through Him we can be justified and made perfect.

He shares a lot of great parables that teach how Christ saves us. They all boil down to us entering into a partnership with Christ. We are the junior partners, with very little to offer. In fact, we have great debts that we need to pay off. When we enter into that partnership with Christ, His assests immediately pay off those debts, and we become a single entity which is immediately justified. This is what Moroni means when He speaks of becoming perfect in Christ (Moro. 10:32-33). Individually, we are still imperfect, but together with Christ we become perfect as He immediately makes up the difference. 

I've been thinking a lot about that this week. Could it really be that as soon as I choose to truly exercise faith in Christ and accept Him as my Savior I could be perfect in Him? As I came to understand that, I became very anxious to partake of the sacrament and renew that partnership with Him. 

I went hometeaching today for the first time in 3 years, and left feeling the best I've felt since being a missionary. I didn't teach perfectly, but I knew that I only had to put forth my effort, and that would be enough. And as I relied on the Savior for the rest, it became a wonderfully uplifting experience.

I know that the plan of redemption can take immediate effect in our lives as soon as we fully put our trust in the love and power of our Savior to make us whole. He lives, His grace is sufficient, and as we strive to improve we can rest certain in the knowledge that our mistakes are ultimately beneficial when we are yoked with our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment