Friday, March 16, 2012

Focusing on the Edges

Today, the Friday Forum speaker was named Brother Mills, and he talked about an experience he had as a kid.  His bishop was also his wood shop teacher.  One day in wood shop, Brother Mills was using an orbital sander to sand a block of wood.  He was going up and down the middle over and over, staring out the window.  His teacher came up behind him, stood there for a few seconds and then said, "If you focus on the edges, the middle will take care of itself."  Confused at first, Brother Mills realized that because of the width of the sander, if he went around the edges first, the middle would end up being sanded too.  He then realized that maybe his bishop was talking about more than just wood.  In life, we often end up focusing on ourselves, the middle, and not on others, the edges. 

Ezekiel 34:8 talks about the shepherds feeding themselves and not the flock.  Brother Mills served as a mission president in the Fukuoka Japan mission.  He showed us pictures of several missionaries just before they came on their mission and right as they were leaving.  The transformation was often very apparent.  Many of these missionaries entered the field having focused on themselves for much of their lives.  However, during their missions they learned to focus on others and a change occurred in their hearts which was apparent in their countenances.  The shepherds were not feeding themselves, but were feeding the flock.

Brother Mills' wife, who spoke before him, talked about gratitude.  When we recognize our blessings and give sincere thanks to God for the many miracles in our lives, we immediately become happier.  She also talked about learning to life at the potentially miserable experiences you may have.

Having gratitude, combined with service to others, will bring happiness and peace.  The Spirit will be felt, a light will come into our eyes, we will live fulfilling lives.  Focusing on my blessings and on serving other people is something I struggle with.  And God has been trying to tell me that for awhile now.  In my mind recently, it's been all about me.  I've sought for recognition, admiration, and personal glory, and have been disappointed over and over.  It shouldn't be about me.  It shouldn't be about what I want.  It shouldn't be about what I don't have.  It should be about my brothers and sisters.  It should be about service.  It should be about my God.

This is going to be hard for me.  It's so difficult for me to let go of what I want, to stop wondering what other people think about me, and to simply serve because I love.  But with God, nothing is impossible.  "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13).  "My God shall give me if I ask not amiss" (2 Nephi 4:35).  So that's what I'll do; ask for God's help.  Wish me luck!          

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, Ry! Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan this is an awesome post and you are such a great example to all who know you!!! Keep up the good work!!! Love Ya, G-ma Cindy

    ReplyDelete