Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Email From Elder Lofthouse 12/5/12

Sounds like life is good back home!  I'm glad everyone is doing well and I hope you continue to find success in your writing mom! :)  Thirty minutes of computer time is not a lot, so I hope I remember everything I was going to say.
First, I'll answer the questions you sent me in the dearelder.  

My companion and I get along fine.  We both have more laid back personalities.  And we have this thing called companionship inventory (you can read about it in Preach My Gospel) that helps us to keep conflicts resolved.  What do we do on a typical day?  Well, we get up at 6 (that's the earliest you can get up, 6:30 is the latest) so that we don't have to wait for the showers, at 7 we have personal study in the classroom, and at 8:10 we have breakfast.  These times are the same for everyday except Friday.  The rest of our activities are the same each day, but vary in their times.  Some days we'll have class after breakfast.  Classes are three hours and we have two each day.  We almost always have our last class at 6:30 except on Tuesdays when we have a devotional.  Besides regular class, we have companionship study, gym time, lunch (always at 12:50), dinner (always at 5:45), TALL (technology assisted language learning), and various other "additional study" times.  Friday mornings we do service (cleaning).  

We get to hear from general authorities every Sunday and every Tuesday.  So far, Elder Holland's talk on Thanksgiving has been the only visit from an apostle, but they sometimes come on Tuesdays.  And we'll have someone here on Christmas (I'm guessing Elder Nelson :) ).  We go to the temple each p-day (today).  My favorite part about the MTC is either the devotionals or the gym time.  My least favorite part is probably just never being alone.  But I'll get used to that.  

I like how in your letter you said that Yuki was at in-and-out (well, she does work there) and then almost as an afterthought added that Elder Scott was there.  What??  That's so cool!  Did you talk to him?  And Yuki had better send me a dearelder as soon as she gets her call!  Why was dad teaching Sunday school?  He doesn't have a new calling does he?  
Today, I got a white shirt someone sent me.  There was no return address and the note with it said, "Someone is thinking of you.  Hope you are in need of this.  Merry Christmas!"  I wish I knew who sent it, but I am very grateful they did, and if it's someone who is going to read this e-mail, then thank you!  

Well I feel like I've finally gotten into the routine of things.  And that's just what this week was.  Routine.  Of course, that routine involves routinely being uplifted and inspired and learning a lot.  It's a pretty great thing when amazing experiences become routine. :)  I have the best branch president in the world.  He is probably the most Captain-Moroni-like person I have every met.  He is bold, blunt, powerful, and at the same time caring.  He really seems to have a gift of discernment and know what to say to us, what we need, and he has great confidence in us.  I am so grateful that God sent President Hollister into my life.  

I'm trying to think of what else to write.  The weeks go by fast, but they are so long at the same time and it's hard to remember everything that has happened.  One of the first things our Branch President said to my district when we got here is that our families will be blessed for our service.  I believe it's D&C 35 that talks about that (but I could definitely be wrong).  Well, one of the Elders in my district, Elder Nichols, told us yesterday that his older sisters who are inactive are starting to come back to church and take the missionary lessons.  Hermana Prince's dad isn't a member, and he's been taking the missionary lessons for years, but this time, he is really serious about it.  She fully expects him to be baptized.  And Hermana Barron, who was disowned by her family for her decision to serve and had to live with her stake patriarch, her mom has started writing to her, and seems to be experiencing a softened heart.  I am so thankful to have come from an active family.  I have had so many great examples around me throughout my life.  Without the support of you, my parents and family, I don't know if I would be out here.   All of us who have the gospel are incredibly blessed and it is so easy to forget that.  In the devotional last night, we heard from Elder Dave F. Evans (I think that's what his name was) one of the men, along with Elder Holland and Elder Nelson, who oversees the missionary work.  He spoke of opening our mouths.  God has promised that if we treasure up the words of life continually then our mouths will be filled when we open them.  Don't be afraid to share the gospel!  It's true, and anyone who reads the Book of Mormon and sincerely asks if it is true will, WILL, receive a witness from the Holy Ghost that it is true.  Believe in that!  Trust in it!  Get people to read the Book of Mormon, and if you yourself aren't sure that you really know the book is true, then read and pray about it yourself.  You will receive undeniable proof if you will do so, and then you will be able to share your testimony with confidence and faith.  Let the Spirit guide and you will find opportunities to share your testimony.  

I love all of you!  

-Elder Ryan Lofthouse-      

No comments:

Post a Comment