Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Email from Elder Lofthouse 4/2/2013

I can't believe how long the weeks are here and yet how quickly they pass.  We had a special zone conference on Saturday.  We got a mission call-out from President Gelwix on Thursday morning telling us that it was 1) To refocus the mission on baptizing, a call to repentance and 2) a special announcement.  I'm not sure he realized the impact that statement had on the missionaries.  The rumors were flying!  Well, we had the conference and nothing really special got announced, so that was slightly disappointing/relieving (there were some interesting theories).  The mission isn't getting split, President Gelwix isn't getting called as a Seventy, we still don't get to use facebook or have girlfriends, our service time is still the same, there was no major change in church policy, a war isn't starting, the District 3 isn't getting filmed here, nor  is anything else we came up with happening.  But it was a great conference and I learned a lot.

After the conference, we had a baptism.  J and K got baptized.  Hopefully V and her kids will be baptized this month.  I got to baptize J.  Sadly, I accidentally left my camera in my pocket.  The memory card is fine, and the camera is actually turning on again, but there's water in the lens or something and I can't take any good pictures.  Also, I forgot to bring my memory card here so I could send pictures.  Sorry!  I'll try to remember next week.  I'm hoping that maybe it eventually dries out, but I may have to go buy a new one. 

One day we were walking to an appointment we'd set earlier that day to give a blessing.  On our way, Elder Hernandez felt prompted to knock on a certain door.  A man opened it, and Elder Hernandez said (in Spanish), "Hello, we are representatives of Jesus Christ and we are here to leave a blessing."  "Oh, come in, come in!"  He then asked us how we knew his wife was sick and who had sent us here.  We said we hadn't known, but God had.  She just found out that week that she had cancer, and it's a pretty big tumor.  We gave her a blessing and the next day we taught them the Plan of Salvation.  I know that we were led to that door.

I can't wait for General Conference this weekend!  I love Conference so much!  I know that if you prepare yourself spiritually and you come with questions to be answered, if you listen carefully during each talk and write down the thoughts and impressions that come to you, you will find answers to all your questions, and you will find the guidance that you need right now in your life.

Transfers are next week and we'll probably be finding out on Friday what's happening.  Most likely my companion will be getting moved.  I can't believe my training is just about done.  I feel like I just got here!   I hope everyone is doing well at home!

I love you all!

-Elder Lofthouse 

No comments:

Post a Comment