Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Email from Elder Lofthouse 4/9/2013 (with pictures!)




Hello everyone!  This week was a great week.  Conference just goes by faster and faster each year.  I could hardly believe how quickly it went!  But I learned to much and I have more pages of notes than I've ever had before.  This week was also transfer week.  Seeing as how my training is over this week and my companion only has two more transfers, we were pretty sure he'd be leaving and I'd be staying.  Well, the way transfers work is the Misison Presient, the Assistants, and some others all get together on Friday and Saturday for Transfer Board.  They pray discuss things, call zone leaders and district leaders and ask about specific missionaries and what changes they (the zone and district leaders) would reccomend.  President makes calls to those who will be in leadership positions and asks them to accept the calling.  Then, Saturday night a general callout gets sent to each zone telling us who is staying and who is going and who the leaders are.  Well, just before the Priesthood session on Saturday we got a call from President Gelwix.  "How's your testimony," he asked my companion.  "Uh..good."  Presdient then extended the call to Elder Hernandez to be a District leader and told him that he would be staying in Atwater.  That was completely unexpected.  Suddenly it was looking more sure that I'd be getting transfered somewhere else.  But when the callout came it turns out that our district is pretty much staying untouched.  Elder Doane is leaving, and the companionship he was in is getting moved to another district and we're getting a new sister misisonary (someone who was in my MTC district, Sister Poston!!).  We're so excited!  There are six of us elders who live in the same appartment complex and we work well together and I know that this is going to be a great transfer!
 
There's always so much to write each week and there never seems to be enough time!  The library here only gives me an hour to e-mail.  I could really use that extra half hour they've given us.  Anyway, we had a really great lesson yesterday with a couple we found using the Harvest Blessing.  It was our second lesson with both of them.  They had read together the Introduction of the Book of Mormon and the Testimonies of the Three Witnesses, the Eight Witnesses, and Joseph Smith.  We taught the Restoration and they really understood what we were teaching and when we invited them to be baptized on May 11, they said they would try and prepare for that date.  They have been praying for guidance and are hungry to learn and draw closer to Christ.  They know that we're the answer to their prayers and I'm so excited for them. 
D is progressing very well.  She came to the two Sunday session of conference and she had the two questions she came with answered.  Isn't it amazing how everyone's questions are answered during conference?  That right there is a miracle.  I love both of President Uchtdorf's talks and Elder Hollands as well of course.  I felt like they were speaking to me.  I need to focus on the positive and on what I do know instead of always thinking about what I don't know and what I can't do, and how far I have to go. I am so glad I'm on a mission.  The majority of the time you experience rejection, disappointments, and frustration.  But all of those fade away when compared to the joyful moments of success.  That's what keeps me going . I know there are people out there searching for truth, people who are reading to change, people who will become strong members of the church.  I have already been blessed to see some people begin to change and I look forward to seeing many more.  
Thank you for all of your love and support.  I wouldn't be here without you.  Keep pressing forward in this great work.  Soon we will see our Savior coming in the clouds and we will finally receive the rest of the righteous.  Learn everyday and don't get discouraged by your shortcomings.  I loved President Uchtdorf's talk in the Priesthood session.  He pointed out that when a toddler is learning to walk, and he falls down, does his father get mad at him?  No!!  He keeps encouraging him and reaching his arms out to him.  It's exactly the same with our Heavenly Father.  We're toddlers, barely learning to walk.  So keep going!!
I love you all so much!  I love this gospel and I am filled with the Spirit right now.  I know that God loves each one of us!  He loves you!  One day, we will all together enter in to His rest.  I look forward to that great day!
Love, 
-Elder Lofthouse .




We had to confiscate their coffee several weeks ago.  That's the Word of Wisdom award right there

No comments:

Post a Comment