Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Email from Elder Lofthouse 2/3/14 Life is Beautiful!

I am so excited to be back in Madera!  Lots of people actually remember me even though I was only here one transfer.  And it's given me an opportunity to see how much I've grown in the last 6 months.  I understand Spanish almost perfectly now, I'm way more assertive, and I'm super excited to serve her in the Madera 3 West area (I was in East 6 months ago).

My new companion is Elder Villanueva and he reminds me so much of Sam.  He's super witty and he was in orchestra.  But theatre is his forte.  He can mimic so many different voices.  It's pretty entertaining!  He just finished getting trained by Elder Bolton and he is a fantastic missionary.  We have had a great week so far.

Friday we had one of the best team-ups ever. A recent convert, O, brought his 11 year-old daughter, M (who I got to teach and baptize last time I was in Madera) and we went to teach the Q family (who now have a baptismal date for Feb 15). In that lesson, the mother told us how the blessing the Elders had given her earlier this week had healed her and how somehow, someway, she was going to go to church and get baptized. They had been having trouble coming to church because they work at the flea market and they've been struggling financially. We went in prepared to commit them to live the Sabbath day, and as we taught it to them, they immediately accepted it. The Spirit was very strong. Afterward we had MCM (Missionary Correlation Meeting), and O and M came with us. Elder Villanueva, on the way over, asked Michelle to talk about the lesson we'd had. She said she was shy but she would try her best. When it was her turn she said, "We had a really great lesson with them. I've never felt the Spirit that strong before. They have a lot of faith and are really good people." It was such a blessing for me to see her having those experiences and continuing to grow in her faith.

And the Qs did come to church on Sunday. We were scrambling to find the four of them a ride, but the bishop's wife finally pulled through. They could only stay for sacrament meeting, but they really enjoyed it and said they would stay all three hours next week. I'm really excited for them! And I got to see O bless the sacrament!  I don't know if you remember him, but he wasn't able to get baptized because his wife wouldn't marry him.  They finally resolved that issue and he got married and baptized in December.  

We're doing exchanges tonight, which means I get to try and lead the area with less than a week's experience in it.  It should be exciting!  Did I mention that Elder Crawford, who was my companion here, is now the district leader?  He's been in Madera for almost a year now!  

This is going to be a great transfer!  I am so, so excited!  I love this work!  I love the opportunites we have to learn and grow and help people do the same.  

I'm so happy!

Love,
Elder Lofthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment