Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Email from Elder Lofthouse 1/27/14 Transfers!

And ..... I'm going back to Madera!  That's where I was before I got transferred to Merced.  But I'll be in the other area this time.  Same ward, different side of the city.  Weird!  

I was so touched yesterday by the outpouring of love I felt from the members here when they found out I was leaving.  For the first time in my mission, I have a good solid relationship with a lot of people here.  In my other areas I was only there a transfer except for my training area, and I couldn't communicate in Spanish very well back then.  In my setting apart, President Tervort said that I would meet many life-long friends.  I believe that many of those are right here in Merced.   When I first got transferred to Merced I thought, "No!  Please no! Not Merced!"  I knew the branch was really struggling and they hadn't baptized for a long time.  But now, I don't want to leave!  I've come to love this little branch so, so much.  I guess that's what happens when you start serving someone.

That was the biggest thing that happened this week.  I sent some stuff home in a couple packages today.  If you could just tuck those out of the way somewhere I'd be very grateful.  

Today, I was studying about the importance of the gift of the Holy Ghost.  I'm not sure we really understand how key it is to our salvation.  D&C 45:56-57 teaches us that it is those who taking the Spirit for their guide that will withstand the day of His coming.  It is the Holy Ghost that purifies us of our sins (2 Nephi 31:17).  The promise the Father has given us time and time again is that "he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved."  How do we endure to the end?  2 Nephi 32 is an excellent lecture on that.   Verse 5 teaches us that the Spirit will show us all things that we should do.  Joseph Smith taught that "You cannot receive salvation without revelation."  It is vital that we learn to receive and follow the Holy Ghost.  We must live worthily of it, and we must give heed to His promptings.  That is the only way that we will find our way back to the presence of our Heavenly Father.

I know that this is the Lord's work.  I know this is His church.  Our Heavenly Father loves us and He answers our prayers.  We can communicate with Him each and every day.  What a gift!

I love you all!
Elder Lofthouse  

No comments:

Post a Comment