Friday, November 7, 2014

Email from Elder Lofthouse 11/3/14 Sprinting to the End

Hello family and friends!

This is suddenly becoming very real.  I got my flight plans this week, the schedule for my last day in the field, and various instructions for things I need to take care of.  I just had my last fast and testimony meeting as a full-time missionary.  I'm running out of time!  

We had a fun ward Halloween activity on Thursday.  There was a carne asada cook-off (it was fantastic!), games for the kids, a cakewalk, a hay ride, a costume contest and then a trunk-or-treat (we left before that part though).  On Friday we had to be in our apartments by 6.  Then it poured!!  I think it rained all that night.  It was so great.  California really needs the rain.  

We had a wonderful elderly couple come to church yesterday. Their names are F and C. I was very surprised when they committed to come because they had recently expressed to us that they aren't going to change religions and C doesn't even go to mass anymore because she has trouble walking. But they came! Sadly the only other person who came was A. V and his family didn't come, but we had a great lesson with them on Tuesday. His wife and daughter said that they will also eventually get baptized, just not this month. She loved church last week, especially a special musical number the missionaries sang (Oh, How Lovely Was the Morning). 

We found out yesterday that we're getting the car taken away tomorrow.  Some sister missionaries need it.  But it's all good because I'm definitely not going to be gaining any weight the next couple weeks!
I'd like to share part of my testimony:
I have made a lot of mistakes, not only on my mission but throughout my life. Often I am very tempted to dwell on those mistakes and weaknesses. I feel frustrated that I'm still not perfect, that I still have many of the same character faults, weaknesses and temptations that I have always struggled with. But I know this: What matters is not how many times we fall but how many times we rise up. I can start right here where I'm at and do better today. Why?
Because Jesus Christ suffered and died for me. he suffered the consequences of my poor choices so that i could try again. Because of Him we are free to choose life and liberty or captivity and death. While there is breath left in me I can and will choose to serve him THIS day. I don't need to worry about yesterday or tomorrow. THIS day I choose to serve Him.
I know that I am weak. But I know God is my Father. I know His Beloved son died for me. I know that by the power of the Holy Ghost. I know by that same spirit that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that through the Prophet Joseph Smith God began to restore His church and gospel to the earth. I know that as we strive to live that gospel, as we come unto Christ, through faith, repentance, covenants, receiving the Spirit and enduring to the end, weak things will be made strong by Him.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Love,
Elder Lofthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment