Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Email from Elder Lofthouse 1/9/13

Hello from the MTC!  Two weeks from today I will departing to the California Fresno Mission!  Woohoo!!
I'm definitely feeling better and I hope all of you are too.  Whatever was going around here was a 24 hour thing.  Lots of missionaries got sick, but everyone's fine now.
Guess who I saw the day after I sent my last e-mail?  Katie Davenport!!  (Or Devenport... I can't remember...)  She's one of the first of the 19-year-olds!  So cool!

They've been re-arranging things here at the MTC.  We lost our two teachers and got two new ones. Luckily, Hermano Clark and Hermana Arbon are still in our zone, so we still see them every day.  Our new teachers are Hermano Boyack and Hermano Lucas.  I really like Hermano Boyack.  These should be a good last two weeks.

I should be getting my travel plans tomorrow, so I'll be sure to let you know when I'll be calling.  I'm so excited to get out into the field!  I'm going to buckle down and work extra hard so these next two weeks pass quickly.

I'm not sure what else to write about.  So much happens and I learn so much and I can't possibly write all of it, and at the same time I can't think of anything to write...  Oh, before I forget, if it's not too much trouble, could you send me my orange duffel bag?  I'd like to have a larger bag than my backpack as a carry-on.  If not, I can probably find something at the bookstore.

I've only been here 8 weeks, but a mission is a wonderful thing.  Elder Holland says that the mission isn't two years away from real life.  "This is as real as life is ever going to get!"  The mission is training for the rest of my life.  One of the Seventy, Elder Faleballa from Guatemala (side note: I asked Hermana Prince how to spell Guatemala because that's where she's going (she leaves on Monday :P )  and so now she and her companion want me to mention her.  They're awesome.  I have the best district ever!)  spoke at the devotional yesterday.  He said that missionaries who come home and stop doing missionary habits, such as daily scripture study, did those things out of obligation and didn't make it a pattern of living.  I want this mission to change me.  Elder Holland claims that no one can be more effected by a mission than he was.  I want it to have that effect on me.  I know that I can be closer to the Lord than I've ever been before and that I can develop habits that will bless the rest of my life.  He also talked about setting goals.  If we don't set daily, weekly, short term, and long term goals, we will get to the end of our lives and realize we didn't reach our full potential.  Set goals!  Make them specific and attainable, but let them stretch you!  Goals give focus to our energies and help us accomplish things we couldn't do otherwise.  

I'm sorry my e-mail was less than stellar this week.  I'll do better next week, okay?  :)

Hope everything is going great back home!  Trust in the Lord and seek to become more converted each and every day!  

I love you!

-Elder Ryan Lofthouse-

No comments:

Post a Comment