Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Email from Elder Lofthouse 3/19/13

I can't believe another week has already passed.  And once again, I can't really remember what happened.  It all feels so long ago!
We had zone conference on Thursday.  I love Zone Conference so much!  It's so inspiring and uplifting.  We were talking about why we are here and how our reason should ultimately become simply because we love Christ.  I was asking myself, "Am I here because I love Him?  Do I have a burning testimony of Him?"  I wrote in my study journal, "I am so imperfect and selfish.  How can I could I ever represent and become like Him?"  And though my question was rhetorical, I knew in that moment that the next thing that would be talked about would be the answer to that question.  And that was the Easter Project.  As a misison, we are going to read through every single reference listed under Jesus Christ in the Topical Guide, including all the sub categories like "Jesus, Antemortal existence of."  We should be done in August.  President Gelwix promised, "If you will do this, it will change your mission, and you will experience a mighty change of heart."  After only a few days I'm already starting to see a difference.  I am trusting in that promise from a servant of God, and I am so excited to see where I'm at in five months.

E was baptized on Saturday.  And her two kids, K and J should follow on the 30th.  Remember A, the one who found the Restoration pamphlet and called us to learn more?  He came to church on Sunday!  And that morning when I called him, he said he couldn't make it.  But I guess he found a car to use and made it for Priesthood and Sacrament Meeting.  He really liked it, wants to meet with our Branch President today and told my companion and me that he wants us to be direct with him and tell him exactly what Joseph Smith taught and what he should and shouldn't do.  He says he's still making a decision, but Elder Hernandez and I can see him as a bishop one day.  We also had another investigator at church on Sunday.  Her name is Da.  Elder Hernandez and his previous companion had street contacted her before I got her, set up an appointment and then forgot about it.  Elder Hernandez and I ran into her again last week and she said she'd waited half an hour for them!  Woops.  We started teaching her.  She said she thinks there's a God, isn't sure what she believes about Jesus Christ, and she has a nose ring.  But she has a light in her eyes, and after her first lesson she started praying, and she read the chapter we left her, Alma 32.  Best of all, she found her own ride to church, but when they flaked out on her, she walked about 3 miles to get there.  She's progressing so well!  The only problem is that she does speak and understand Spanish, but she's very comfortable with English and she's YSA aged.  So we're thinking the YSA ward would be better for her and we might be passing her on to those missionaries.

As I've been doing the Easter Project, I've been noticing how Christ would take time to renew and strengthen His relationship with Heavenly Father.  He would fast for forty days, or he would pray so long on the Mount of Transfiguration that His apostles would fall asleep.  He also spent all night long praying before he selected the Twelve.  How often do we forget to say our prayers?  Or when we do say them, how often are they half-hearted?  Does your mind wander as you pray?  Are you thinking about what you're saying?  More importantly, are you feeling what you're saying?  Sincerity brings the Spirit more than anything else.  You can share testimony and pray until you're blue in the face, but until you're doing it from your heart, the Spirit won't be there.  I invite all of you to look at how you pray and ask if you are really talking to Heavenly Father or not.  The Bible Dictionary teaches that prayer is a form of work.  It does take effort to pray mightily, but if you will take the time to do so, you will feel the power of God enter into your lives with more strength than before, and you will see miracles.  

I love you all!  Keep the faith and don't ever stop striving to improve!

-Elder Lofthouse-

No comments:

Post a Comment