Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Email from Elder Lofthouse 8/19/13

Hello again everybody!  The first week in an area is always interesting, because you can't really help out with planning that much because you don't know anyone or where anything is.  But we've had a pretty good week.  I love our mission so much!  

It's interesting being back in a tiny branch, where "Ward Council" consists of the 6 missionaries (we have a senior couple), the Branch President, and his one counselor.  I taught Gospel Principles, helped pass the Sacrament, gave a talk in Sacrament meeting, and only narrowly avoided playing the piano (my name was on the program, but the regular pianist showed up at the last minute).  We need to find more members!  So, that's what Elder Neave and I are going to do.

The other two missionaries in our branch are Elder Benson and his trainee, Elder Taufa.  Elder Taufa got his bike tires stolen his second day here.  That was kind of funny.  Elder Neave and I have the car, and we almost never use our bikes, so Elder Taufa is using Elder Neave's.  Elder Neave is our District Leader and he goes home to Adelaide, Australia this transfer.  He admits that he's trunky and I'm trying to help him push to the end.  We need to baptize this transfer!!  

We taught a former investigator last night who had been taught by the missionaries a year earlier.  His name is F.  He's a painter, like Grandpa Larry, and two years ago he was helping someone with a painting job, outside of work, and he had a bad accident (I think he fell from a ladder or something) and broke his foot really bad and his hand as well.  He's only recently been able to start walking again and it's a miracle that he even still has his foot.  He's been reading his Book of Mormon!  We taught (re-taught) the restoration to him last night and invited him to be baptized Sept 14.  He said that if he gets an answer that the Book of Mormon is true, then yes, that would be the next step.

We also have a few other investigators who are so close to getting baptized but just have a hold up or two.  For example, J really wants to get baptized and feels he is ready, but he only gets a certain amount of social security each month and he can't afford to pay tithing.  We're trying to help him understand and exercise the principle of faith.

Anyway, I'm excited for another transfer!  I'm sure good things are going to happen.  It's a good day to be a Mormon missionary!  To end, I want to quote something from Elder Hatch's letter:

 "I love being a missionary.  I think only that people that have been
missionaries can understand the full joy and blessing of being a
missionary.  I love it with all my heart.  There are so many hard
times.  There are so many times where I am just hungry or tired or
discouraged that it would be easy to stop, to quit, or relax.  Each
time I am tired, hungry or discouraged, if I just keep going, giving
my very best despite my many weaknesses, that is when the miracles
happen.  That is when Heavenly Father blesses us."

I agree 100%.  I love being a missionary and I know that Heavenly Father blesses us with miracles when we do our best.  If you have the chance to serve a mission, don't hesitate to take it!  It is the most wonderful experience I have ever had!

I love you all!
Elder Lofthouse  

No comments:

Post a Comment