Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Email from Elder Lofthouse 7/7/14

This has been a really, really long week.  I can't believe how much has happened.  We got a new mission president!  President and Sister Clark are wonderful.  We got to meet with them individually for 2 1/2 minutes on Thursday.  Not much time, but it was worth it.  I'm excited!

On the 4th of July Elder Morrow and I just camped out in the apartment (we're only allowed out after six if we're with a member).  It was nice to just relax for a few hours.  We did see some fireworks from our apartment and we heard a lot.  Yay America!

M has a baptismal date for this Saturday. We stopped by last night and he first asked us about the Virgin Mary and we talked a bit about that, but in the course of our discussion we discovered what his biggest doubt has been, and that is what his parents will think. He's close to thirty, but he's finding it very difficult to leave behind the traditions his fathers have given him. He's felt the Spirit and he knows this is true and from what I understand he just wants to feel confident in being able to explain to his parents why he's changing. We're having a lesson in the home of his brother-in-law, E S, on Tuesday (the Elder's Quorum President) and plan on having a mini testimony meeting. When Hermano S joined the church, his wife was very angry at him, but several years later she was baptized and is now a faithful member of the church. We hope their example and their testimonies will help him make the decision.

A few weeks ago we were struggling to find, so we re-focused on our finding and have been having wonderful success. On Saturday, we felt we should set a goal of two new investigators, though we really weren't sure how we were going to looking at our plans. We had too many appointments. But we set the goal in faith and we found them! A and M! As we said the closing prayer in that lesson, I couldn't quite hold back the tears of gratitude and amazement as I realized that we had found the two new investigators the Lord had inspired us to look for. I know that this is His work and He directs it (unless we don't let Him).

I really want to finish off my last three transfers strong. During my fast yesterday, I decided to do the "Purification Challenge", and fasted to know what things kept me from having the Spirit more abundantly in my life. This morning I made a list of 10 or 11 things and commit to God to "fast" from those things this transfer (English is one of them). I look forward to this coming transfer (transfer calls come this week) and the opportunity to re-commit myself to this work and use up every last minute I have.   

I love you all and hope you are having a wonderful week!  I know that this is the only true and living church on the earth, that this is God's work and He is hastening it, and that as we give our lives over to him He can work wonders in us.

Love,
Elder Lofthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment