Monday, July 28, 2014

Email from Elder Lofthouse 7/28/14 Miracle!

his was a pretty crazy week. We had two miracle baptisms. One of our investigators, B, had accepted a baptismal date for July 26th, but we hadn't had much contact with her for a week and a half. We finally got to meet with heron Wednesday and we took the former bishop of the ward with us, Bishop A. She expressed doubts about being ready and Brother A bore powerful testimony of how it would change her life and if she would put her faith in Christ and take this step the blessings would come. He was very bold. At the end of the lesson she said she would get baptized on Sunday. She had her interview on Friday and at the interview her son asked when he was going to get baptized. We said, "would you like to get baptized with your mom?" We taught him pretty much everything over the next two days, he passed his interview and yesterday at 4pm they both entered the waters of baptism together. 

We fasted with I on Friday. She texted us at about 2pm to say she was starting and the next day at 2pm we went over to break our fast with her. She's doing well, but she didn't make it to church yesterday. She was going to come to the baptism, but she called me while I was playing the opening hymn, so I couldn't answer, and then after the opening prayer I completely forgot. She had come to the building but didn't know where in the building the baptism was at! Hopefully there will be a baptism this week or next that she can go to. Elder Herrera and I feel pretty certain she'll get baptized this month.

We had a really fun pioneer day activity on Saturday.  The food (pancakes, Chorizo, Orange Juice, Watermelon) looked great, but we were still fasting with I.  I took some pancakes home though and they're great!  We did gunny sack races, stick-pull, futbol (soccer), and a water balloon toss that turned into a big water fight.  It was great!

Today I was reading in 2 Nephi.  I like 2 Nephi 28:27-30.  I have found that attitude so much on my mission.  "We have enough.  We need no more."  God truly does teach line upon line, precept on precept, and if we are not seeking for greater light and truth, we will lose even the understanding we may already have.  People who don't ask questions and don't seek to know more, tend not to know very much in the first place.  Most of the people I talk to with that attitude, ("We need no more bible!") don't even really know the bible in the first place.  Or they already assume they know everything they need to, so they stop studying and they stop asking God for guidance.  Don't fall in that trap!  Keep searching the scriptures, ask God questions, seek to understand more about the principles of the Gospel.  "For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" (Matt 7:8).

I know this gospel is true and that this is the Lord's work.  I grow more sure of that every day.

I love you all!  Have a fantastic week!
Love,
Elder Lofthouse

P.S.  If you haven't heard, my little brother Rusty got his mission call!  He's going to the Canada Edmonton mission and leaves December 3rd.  I'm so excited for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment