Wednesday, December 7, 2011

We are at war!


Recently I've been reading the war chapters in Alma.  I've heard many people say that they find it hard to apply these chapters in their own lives.  I've felt this way too.  But the truth is, we ARE at war.  With that perspective, I've found so much application in these chapters.  For example, in Alma 52:19 it talks about Moroni, Teancum, and many of the other chief captains holding a council of war.  We also have captains and chief captains who hold councils of war.  They are our quorum presidencies, our bishoprics, our stake presidencies, and the prophets and apostles.  They teach us, as Moroni taught his people, about armor, armor such as prayer, scripture study, and obedience to the commandments.  They build fortifications: Church buildings, institutes, and temples.  They teach us how to fortify our own homes.  These leaders are always looking for ways to help us gain the victory.  And they are led by the unconquerable generals, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  They are called and inspired by God, and we can trust that following them will bring us strength.

Today I read Alma 60, the scathing epistle Moroni sends to Pahoran.  Verse 7 and 8 say, "Can you think to sit upon your thrones in a state of thoughtless stupor, while your enemies are spreading the work of death around you? Yea, while they are murdering thousands of your brethren— Yea, even they who have looked up to you for protection, yea, have placed you in a situation that ye might have succored them, yea, ye might have sent armies unto them, to have strengthened them, and have saved thousands of them from falling by the sword."
 
All around us the adversary is spreading the work of death.  He is seeking our souls and the souls of our brothers and sisters.  As one who has a firm testimony of the gospel and therefore a means of succoring those who are spiritual weak, how can I just stand by and do nothing?  I should be serving those around me and sharing my testimony with those who are struggling.  I feel like we will share our testimonies in church and institute, but how often will we do it around our friends and other peers?  If we know it is true, why do we stay silent?  "[Satan's] effort to stop the work will be reasonably well served if he can just bind the tongue of the faithful. Brethren, if that is the case, I am looking tonight for men young and old who care enough about this battle between good and evil to sign on and speak up. We are at war ... We want battalions who will take as their weapons “every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God.” So I am looking tonight for missionaries who will not voluntarily bind their tongues but will, with the Spirit of the Lord and the power of their priesthood, open their mouths and speak miracles. Such speech, the early brethren taught, would be the means by which faith’s “mightiest works have been, and will be, performed.” (Jeffery R. Holland, "We Are All Enlisted," October 2011 General Conference address). 

We are all missionaries, and if we have a firm testimony of the truth of this gospel we ought to put our trust in God, open our mouths, and let Him speak.  I've often felt that faith is simply a choice.  It can be a difficult choice to make, but whenever I've chosen to take a leap of faith, I've never been disappointed in the miracles my God has worked either through me or for me.  

Well, that was more than I meant to write on that topic. 

2 comments:

  1. thanks for posting on this topic it is a great reminder of what i need to do more of

    your awsome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, you are awesome!!! I can see you are preparing for your mission. This was a really great post and I am proud of you!!! I love the Book of Mormon!!!! And You!!! Love Ya, Grandma Cindy

    ReplyDelete